04 August 2016

Food.  Anytime we move, finding food for everyone in the house is my main job and it can be really challenging.  Every country has its own set of things to figure out.

My biggest problem right now is adjusting to not going grocery shopping daily, or at least five times a week.  For years (with a few exceptions) I've filled up the pantries or cupboards with staples and then bought produce, meat, and dairy as needed, usually for dinner that night.  No planning ahead, no long shopping trips except for the filling up the pantry part, no food waste because it's always fresh and used within a day at most, and it requires that you get out of the house and get some exercise even on the days when you just want to stay home and away from everything.  For me, there are almost no negatives to shopping frequently although I know it's not for everyone.

But here, that's impossible, at least when it's hot.  I will be able to walk to two small grocery stores when it's cooler, but I can't right now and I can't be chauffeured off to the grocery store every day to buy food for that night.  It's a major adjustment for me and since the pantry still isn't full (because I always, always run out of time at the grocery store), I'm just glad we've eaten dinner every night. I'm working on a better plan and I'll be more organized, but it'll take a little time.

Another challenge is that you can't just run to the store for ice cream for an impromptu party or for something you forgot.  I usually don't keep treats around so we'll be glad when the ice cream maker arrives. And again, it's complicated to go out or order food so we've eaten dinner at home every night.  That's not a problem, but it's nice to not have to cook dinner sometimes, especially right after you move.

I'm beginning to see why there's a full-size freezer in the house.  

But other than that, food here is amazing.  So much fun. It's quite possible that Lulu will be my favorite grocery store I've ever used, anywhere in the world.  It's like going to a Middle Eastern, Asian, American, and European grocery store all in one place.  I can get muesli, bulgur, matta rice, flour tortillas, cardamom pods, cane vinegar, rice noodles, cheddar cheese, golden syrup, and so much more and I still haven't even seen the entire place.  As soon as I get organized, the possibilities are endless.

And did I mention yet that jusay is in all the grocery stores?!  I have no idea which ethnic group eats it or what they do with it or what it's called (since it's almost never labeled, and if it is, it's just labeled chives, and the vegetable man didn't know when I asked him), and it's a lot messier than jusay in Kyrgyzstan or the US, but it's my jusay.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment