08 January 2016

DC Holiday Stuff Part 2 (and Interesting Detours)

National Menorah and Christmas Tree.  I made sure to go here during Hanukkah so we could see both.  We wandered around to see all the different state and territory trees and it was fun to be in the city at night.  But just as we were leaving, the Secret Service people closed off one of the exits and we had to walk all the way around the White House to get back to our car.  A detour around the White House is at least more interesting than many other detours.  When my middle son went there with a group of teenagers the next week, the same thing happened.

Georgetown GLOW.  I went here with my husband since I wasn't sure the boys would like it and that was smart.  There were about 5 or 6 pieces of art and we enjoyed looking at them, but it wouldn't have been worth going to if it hadn't been in a place like Georgetown.  We had a very pleasant evening and I hope this event grows because I think it has a lot of potential.

Mormon Temple lights.  This one was on lots of people's lists of things to do since free light displays aren't all that common in the area.  We'd been to the creche display at least 17 years ago, but I don't think we'd done the lights before.  As expected, the boys played geography games on the screens inside the visitor center.  They love that game.

Eastern Market.  There's always a street market on the weekends here that's fun to go to because of the part of town it's in and because of the stuff that they sell, but I wanted to see the holiday version.  It really wasn't all that different, but I did prefer it to the downtown holiday market.

Alexandria Holiday Market.  I went in the late morning on a weekday so that wasn't a great time to go, but this one was a dud.  On the way home they made everyone get off the metro so they could single track and wait for another train.  We got off in Arlington Cemetery so I walked up to Rosslyn so I could get home.  I don't know if I saved any time, but I'm sure I didn't lose any and a detour through Arlington Cemetery is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment