10 September 2015

Homeschooling 2015

Last year was not our best homeschooling year ever, but we got through all the things and are ready for this year.

The youngest is in public school.  It's the first time I've ever sent a child to public school in the US and so far, if you can tell anything from a couple of days of school, he's delighted with it, as expected.  He hasn't gotten through any evenings without tears yet and we're working hard to help him get enough sleep and get used to being gone for 8 hours a day, but I think he'll be okay.

The oldest is doing his online high school and starting college classes this year.  He's also working as a referee for kids' sports and waiting to be allowed to get his driver license.  And he's enjoying being around his extended family.

So my middle son is again my only real homeschooler.  He's continuing with the Well-Trained Mind Academy by taking writing, literature, biology, and creative writing, along with doing Singapore Math and Life of Fred Geometry, Spanish at the local high school, hockey with the high school, and our Washington DC history class.  I think it'll be a good year.

As for me, I decided not to take Arabic with my husband this year.  It was just doable, but it would have sucked up my life and I just couldn't give up everything else to work full-time on a language I can easily get back to a decent level on my own.  It will be a challenge to find opportunities to use Arabic in Saudi, but I think it can be done.  It is SO WONDERFUL to return to Arabic.  I'm going to spend 2-3 hours a day studying on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment