01 February 2015

Cebollas Curtidas

While I was in Coba, I was able to pick up a few Seville oranges.  I'd have liked to bring more back, but I'm hoping to go to Abastos soon and get a lot to freeze because I LOVE them.  There is nothing quite like them.  Maybe someone I can live in Merida for a while and cook with them every day.

There are lots of great recipes that use bitter oranges, but I turned the ones I bought into cebollas curtidas.

Juice of three narajanas agrias
1/2 kilo red onions, sliced
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
Other spices, if desired, like a bit of allspice, black pepper, and/or cloves

Cover the red onions with boiling water and let them sit for 1 minute, then drain.  Combine with the juice, salt, and spices and let sit for an hour.  They'll just get better and better the longer they sit and will last quite a while in the fridge.  I can't imagine them last more than a day, though.

These go on lots of different things.  I put them on mole here at home, but they should be on tacos, salbutes, panuchos, pibils, and various other meat dishes.  Or anything else you like.  They are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment