14 June 2014

Mastering the Art of French Eating

When I checked this book out of the library, I didn't realize it was by the same author as Kitchen Chinese which I read recently.  I liked this one better than I liked that one even though the first was set in China and this was non-fiction in France (I'm always griping about France travel books here).

There were some annoying parts here.  I'm deciding that travel books by women are a lot more likely to blather about relationship stuff than those by men.  This is unfortunate.  Given the title of this one and the fact that the author is happily married, you'd think it would skip the relationship stuff, but no.  Shortly after she and her husband move to France, he volunteers to work for a year in Iraq and she, obviously, misses him.  I'm glad she did; it would be awful to ship your husband off and realize you don't care that he's gone.  But when I get a book about French food, I don't really want to keep hearing about how your husband completes your life and how you're barely functioning without him .  It also was ever so slightly irritating to read about her pitiful state when most people whose spouses head off for Iraq are left on a tight budget in the US and taking care of several children.  She was living rent-free in Paris with no children and able to Skype with her husband every single night and see him several times during the year.  You never know what's going to knock you flat, but I'd rather read about people getting knocked flat in circumstances that really are flattening.  I'm probably terribly insensitive though.

Anyway.  Let's get to the food part.  It was fun to read about the regional food of France and that's what made this book really worth recommending.  Get it for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment