16 June 2014

Chocolate Pudding Cake, Chocolate Cobbler, Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding...

I've been making this for years, but it's way, way, way too sweet.  All the recipes online had as much sugar, or they were different enough that they didn't work for me (like calling for good chocolate, and all I have is cocoa).  Usually I'd just cut down on the sugar, but this recipe is so weird that I never quite dared.

So last night I finally got brave and only put in half as much sugar (and made ice cream too in case the cake was a mess).  It worked perfectly and I didn't  use brown sugar which I can't get here very easily.

So here's the new recipe:

Preheat the oven to 175/350.  In a 9x9 baking dish, combine:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Then add:
1/2 cup milk
2 T oil

Smooth that out, then combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa and sprinkle it over the top.  Pour 1 1/4 cups water (hot, cold, or straight out of the tap is fine) over the whole thing and bake for 30-45 minutes.

1 comment:

Jadda said...

Thanks for being brave and giving it a try - and for sharing.