25 March 2014

Pumpkin Squares

I thought I'd probably posted this a long time ago, but I can't find it, so here's a recipe for something like pumpkin pie except it makes a lot and is easier. It's basically the recipe on the pumpkin can in a 9x13 dish with a more interesting crust, and I add more spices.

Preheat the oven to 175/350. Combine the following and press into a 9x13 dish and bake 15 minutes.

1/2 c oats
1/2 c softened butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c flour

While that's baking, dump the following in the blender and blend.

2 eggs
2 cups pumpkin, or one small can (15 oz)
3/4 cup sugar
12 oz dairy*
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Pour it into the hot baking dish and return to the oven.  Bake for another 35 or so minutes till it's set.

Pumpkin pies often call for evaporated milk.  I usually don't have evaporated milk.  So I might use milk with some cream or coconut milk, or straight coconut milk (which is amazing), and here I'll probably try crema. You can also use milk and add some powdered milk, or use powdered milk with twice the powder as usual, since evaporated milk if just milk with half the water gone. You need something more than whole milk, if possible, although it's not totally essential.




No comments:

Post a Comment