31 January 2014

I've slacked off a bit with blogging the last week or two; first I was busy (and I still have a bunch of posts from that busyness) and then I was sick.  So this post is going to have all sorts of things.

I usually don't care about celebrity stuff, but I was disappointed today that a celebrity who'd been an ambassador for Oxfam for many years has decided she'd rather advertise for SodaStream.  Since SodaStream operates out of a settlement in Palestine, she can't do both.  SodaStream is getting plenty of publicity about it, and I don't think most Americans even have a clue about the whole thing, so I don't know if is will make much difference, but I know I'm not a SodaStream fan. Nor of the celebrity, if SodaStream is more important to her than Oxfam.

I'm still sick, which means I've had to go to the hospital. It's not a big deal, but it's been interesting to  see what it's like to be in a hospital in another country.  I lived in constant dread in Kyrgyzstan that someone in the family would need more medical attention than a first aid kit could supply, and I will be forever grateful that none of us needed much medical care there (there is one exception, but that wasn't about someone being sick or injured). So I am delighted to be in a hospital in Mexico.

Everyone has been so helpful, kind, and professional.  No one is bothered that I don't speak much Spanish.  They just speak slowly and we work it out.  There isn't even eye-rolling.  I have a private room and well-stocked bathroom. People keep apologizing that the room doesn't have a window, but it is so much better than anything I would have had in Kyrgyzstan.

My biggest irritation is that I can't eat because I'm dying to know what hospital food is like in Mexico.  This isn't just because I'm hungry, which I am, but because I'm curious.  Meals are, obviously, at normal Mexican times.  The main meal is brought in at 2:30 and dinner is at 8:30.  I haven't been allowed to even drink anything for breakfast yet, so I don't know when that is.  I assume around 9 or 10.  Maybe I'll find out tomorrow.

There's wifi and a large screen TV with lots of Spanish and English shows. The room is too warm.  I have a bazllion water bottles supplied every morning by the newspaper guy (so cheerful to sit in a hospital and find the main headline is about how many people have died from the flu in Jalisco).  There's a lovely painting of irises on the wall. The bed adjusts.  There is hand sanitizer everywhere.   I could go on, but it's just like a hospital in the US.

In Kyrgyzstan you get a concrete room stuffed with beds, and they'll all be filled.  Your family brings you your food.  The room is usually too hot, unless it's much too cold.  You share a bathroom with lots of people. You have to worry if the needles are clean (and everything else). It's not that doctors are horrible in Kyrgyzstan, because they're not.  They just don't have the resources they need.  So I'm happy to be here.

Today also was slightly eventful in Guadalajara. Sometimes the police arrest powerful narco types, and they did last night. And, not surprisingly, there are retaliations, and the typical way to do that is to light a few vehicles on fire. And that's what happened today. It sounds like no one was hurt and everything is fine now.  But I'm totally our of the loop here.

There are other things, but I'm done now.  And I need to plug this thing in.


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you are so sick. Hope you get better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete