12 December 2013

Tandyr Tortillas

I just made the amazing discovery that there are tandoor tortillas in Oaxaca.  I could find almost nothing about them in English, but this site has photos and some information about them. I already wanted to visit Oaxaca, but now we have to go.

The ovens are called comiscales here, but I don't know what the connection is with Central Asian ovens, or if there is one at all.  The breads which I can't really call tortillas* are about 1/4-inch thick and, as expected, are slapped on the side of the hot comiscal.  I think I'm going to try making some on  my baking stone since I have fresh masa in the fridge today.

*I don't think memela is the right word either.  Even though they're fatter, I don't think they're usually cooked in a comiscal. But I don't really know.

No comments:

Post a Comment