10 December 2013

Homemade 100% Whole Wheat Pasta

You really can buy almost any food here (except Chinkiang vinegar), but sometimes it's expensive.  Whole wheat pasta is about $4/pound here which is way more than I'm willing to spend. The picky eater of the family prefers whole wheat pasta, and if he prefers a healthier version of something, we're going to provide it.

I've always read that making whole wheat pasta is difficult, and I've used whole wheat flour for Asian noodles before and not had much success.  But I decided to give it one more try with a food processor and pasta machine. And it finally worked!

I just have a small and wimpy food processor, so I make just a little dough at a time, but all I do is combine 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 egg, and a pinch of salt.  Then slowly add just enough water (you won't need much) as it's processing till the dough just sticks together.  Run it through the pasta machine and you're good to go.

I can make enough pasta for 3 of us for lunch before the water boils, which was my goal.  I can't do that if all five of us are eating.  I make two batches of dough for three people and it's plenty. And I am pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment