17 November 2013

The Perfect Bookstore

We went to the Hospicio Cabañas today which is its own post, but first I have to rave about the gift shop/bookstore at the entrance.  It was perfect because it was filled with interesting books about Mexico.  Not just big glossy touristy books, but all sorts of books on all sorts of topics.  They were the sorts of books I wish I could have found about Kyrgyzstan, but there just isn't a market for them.

We ended up with a coloring book of Mexican folk art which my husband and youngest son will love, a book about the Day of the Dead, and one about Huichol cooking.  We left so many interesting books behind.  One on Mexican nativity sets.  One one Day of the Dead markets all over the country. So many travel books and architecture and history books.  And a huge collection of cookbooks from all over Mexico.  I can't wait to go back.

Also, it turns out that today is is Mexico's (or at least Guadalajara's) equivalent of Black Friday.  I'd seen sighs for Buen Fin all over the place recently but I had no idea that it meant that a bazllion people would be out shopping today.  It also was raining today which is very unusual. I'll know next year that we should get out of town instead of heading downtown this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are living in Mexico! It is a dream of mine to live in Oaxaca with my family someday. I am always on the lookout for good books about Mexico, and your bookstore trip sounds fantastic. Do you have any titles to recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet, but I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete