05 November 2013

Catrinas

Catrinas are another traditional symbol of the Day of the Dead, although a relatively modern one.  The artist Jose Guadalupe Posada did a satirical etching about 100 years ago called "La Calavera Catrina" and now catrinas an important symbol of the Day of the Dead in many parts of the country.  Mocking death but also facing its reality are a big part of the holiday for many Mexicans.

These catrinas were set up next to the main Cathedral in Guadalajara.  Different groups and people decorated them (like the Red Cross catrina).








2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for showing us all those pictures. I love, love, love the way everything looks so bright and beautiful and cheerful. I love the skeletons.
    From what I know of Kazakhstan (my only experience of central Asia) I cannot imagine what a difference it must be for you. Imagine what it would feel like if you were flying directly from November 1st in Central Asia to November 1st in Mexico with no stop over!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I think about that all the time. It's so different here!

    ReplyDelete