13 September 2013

The People's Guide to Mexico

So one ought to read books about Mexico before moving there.  So I got this one after poking around the bookstore a couple of times.  And it's perfect. Every country in the world needs a book like this about it.  Sure, it's sort of of guidebook, but it's more a why-you-should-love-Mexico-as-much-as-we-do book.  This is what I want to write about Kyrgyzstan.

It's not a typical guidebook because it doesn't tell you which hotels to stay in.  Instead, it tells you about hotels and various places to stay in Mexico so you can figure out your options yourself.  It doesn't tell you what to do in Puerto Vallarta, but it makes sure you're not going to sit in your resort while you're there.

It also has really great sections on camping, driving all over the country, plunking yourself down and renting for a while, culture, history, and a bazillion other things.  Really, it's huge.  And fun.  And exactly what I needed. I'm still working my way through it and expect to use it while we're there.

And then I need to go back to Kyrgyzstan lots more times so I can write a book like this about Kyrgyzstan.  Because most people going to Kyrgyzstan need to know why they should love the place.

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever read the Culture Shock books for different countries? I've found those helpful for the same reasons you mentioned. I wonder if The People's Guide is a series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've flicked through Culture Shock books before, but never really sat down and read one.

    This one isn't from a series; it's just a few people who love Mexico and 40 years ago wanted to figure out a way to fund their trips there. So they wrote their own style of guidebook and have been keeping it going since 1972. That's part of what makes it totally unique- there are series of guidebooks that I like, but this is its own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the subtitle "wherever you go - there you are?

    ReplyDelete