06 September 2013

Homeschooling 2013 Version

Yes, we're still homeschooling after all these years.  There's not really another option when you move as often as we do.

This year is different though.  I've been homeschooling just the two older boys together since we went to Kyrgyzstan the first time 8 years ago.  They've used some different books in math and grammar, but mostly they've done everything together.  This year the oldest is starting high school and will be doing an online program.  That'll be much easier with our upcoming move plus multiple moves during the rest of his high school career.  All we need is decent internet access.  One can hope.

The youngest is starting kindergarten this year.  It has been so long since I taught someone to read, or write.  It's a lot more interesting to talk about Soviet history or do algebra and chemistry. We'll probably have him go to school in Mexico for a few hours a day so he can learn Spanish and have fun.

So with those two out of the way, I get to focus on my middle son.  He's been working a year ahead of his official school age, not because I really planned it, but it just sort of happened.  I am so looking forward to having a year where the schooling is about what he wants to do. 

There's not much reason for me to post what we're doing this year.  I don't choose for the oldest, kindergarten is as easy as can be, and my middle son will mostly do what the oldest did last year.  We're beta testing WWS 3 and I haven't quite decided what to do for history since we did modern history last year and there is a year before we need to start ancient history again. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! A couple of questions: What online program is your oldest using? And what is WWS 3? I always like to file these things away for future reference.

    Also, while we're on the subject, thank you so much for recommending the OUP books! My kids love them. We're going kind of slow since there are so many books and my kids are on the young side, but history is now one of their favorite parts of homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're loving them as much as we did. They are awesome.

    WWS is Writing with Skill. It's a middle school writing program. I've been really, really happy with it.

    My oldest will be doing BYU's online program.

    ReplyDelete