29 April 2013

Guadalajara

So we already know the next place we're going- five months in advance!  That's that longest advance notice we've had in years.

Guadalajara isn't where I was hoping to go, although I was expecting it.  It's hard to hear people refer to Central Asia as the "Ickystans" when I so much would rather be there (and they'd probably rather be in Guadalajara).

But there is a lot to look forward to.  Here's what I've come up with so far.
  • It's not as hot as most of Mexico (but the people who refer to it as perpetual spring don't define spring the way I do)
  • If I'm not in Central Asia, at least I won't be in the US (not that I dislike the US, I just don't want to live here all the time)
  • Visitors!  Kyrgyzstan didn't exactly attract a lot of people (even though it should have).
  • Great food.  And I'll get to learn how to cook it.  
  • Mangoes.  And other fruit.  All year.
  • Lots of things to do in the city and nearby
  • Lots of Mormons
  • Spanish.  It's time.
In fact, nearly all the things that are tricky about Central Asia don't apply to Guadalajara.

But there are some things that make me itchy.  There's a Wal-Mart there.  And Costco.  And a bazillion retirees.  And it does get hot for several months.  And we can't take the bus or the metro.  But I can get around a lot of that (please mock me if I ever admit to going to Wal-Mart while I'm there).

3 comments:

  1. wow, it took me a while to get use to you blogging from the US, I guess it will take a while to get use to you blogging from the 2nd largest city in Mexico (from visitmexico.com).
    I am sure you will find lots of good things about it but compare to central Asia you may find it a bit "tame"...if you know what I mean.
    What can I say? I am leaving South Africa in 2 days and going to Canada ...of all places!!!
    Mangoes though! there something to think about...and all the fruits and fresh veggies and the great food.... I mean for you in Mexico, not for me in Canada! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone says it's never easy to live in another country, but I'm not coming up with any reasons why I'd think Guadalajara is hard, especially after some of the things we did in Kyrgyzstan.

    I hope you enjoy being back in Canada for a while. I've loved your photos while you've been in South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I'll be sure to mock you if you ever shop at Wal-Mart, but I'm sure you won't. Enjoy it, though. It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete