19 November 2012

Sour Cream Apple Pie

So we've been having a pie fest recently because it's that time of the year, and since the South is apparently pie country, I've made some new pies.

I now know why my mother always said pie is too sweet.  We've had some horribly sweet pies (although they were pretty good once liberally covered with lime juice).  I'll give the chess pie another chance with a modified recipe, but I'm not sure I'm quite converted to pecan pie.

Anyway, I'm still trying new ones but without as much sugar.  Today's was a sour cream apple pie that was really good.  My middle son loved it most- he ate half the pie by himself, and that's unusual for him.  He eats everything, just not lots of it.  The original recipe had less sugar than many do, but I cut it half anyway and thought it was about right, although still a little too sweet.  Less of the crumb topping would be good, or just leave it out.

Unbaked pie crust in an 8" plate
3 cups chopped apples
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup sugar, or to taste
1/4 tsp salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon vanilla

1.5 tablespoons butter
2.5 tablespoons sugar
2.5 tablespoons flour
1 tsp cinnamon


Combine the apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and salt and dump into the pie crust.  Combine the sour cream, egg, and vanilla and spread over the apples.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then at 350 for 25 minutes.  Combine the rest of the ingredients into a crumb topping, sprinkle over the top, and return to the oven to bake at 400 for 10 minutes.


9 comments:

  1. Would it work with labneh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try it and see. I happened to have sour cream around because it's Thanksgiving, but I'd like to know if yogurt would work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! Did the pecan pie consist mainly of pecans with a bit of goop holding it together, or was it a goop pie with pecans sprinkled on top? That makes a big difference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pecan-sprinkled goop. I'm thinking the other way would be better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. A good pecan pie should have way more pecans than goop, but pecans are pricey so people skimp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the 1/4 cup sugar your corrected amount or the original amount?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's posted the way I made it, Jadda. The original recipe had 1/2 cup sugar with the apples and twice as much crumb topping.

    Jean, yes, they're expensive! I bought a pecan pie since that was cheaper than making my own, even with the skimped pecans. I'll have to splurge sometime and make one with lots of pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can anything be too sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can anything be too sweet?

    ReplyDelete