27 November 2012

Shenandoah Books

I've been reading a lot about the Shenandoah Valley since it's here, so these are a few books I've read so far.

Shenandoah Voices- I enjoyed reading this.  It's mostly short anecdotes and it's really heavy on the author's own ancestors, but that didn't ruin it at all. 

Mennonite Recipes from the Shenandoah Valley- This felt like reading a LDS ward cookbook from the same time period.  Americans cooked the same basic stuff all over the country with a few regional variations.  I picked out the unique recipes because all the rest are easy to find.  I always love reading a cookbook though.

Shenandoah Heritage- This was specifically about the people who lived in what would soon become Shenandoah National Park.  It was written in 1978 so, while it was more modern than sources I've read from the 1920s and 30s, it was still somewhat biased against the people of the park.  Still, a very interesting read.

From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens- This wasn't specifically about the Valley, but the authors are from there.  It was similar to the one I reviewed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment