26 October 2012

A Discovery of Witches

So I really enjoyed this book in a lot of ways. Interesting characters, interesting plot, interesting places.  I'm looking forward to the next book in the trilogy (although I'm annoyed, because I didn't know it was a trilogy when I started it, especially one where the books haven't all been published yet- if I'm going to be out of the reading loop for a couple of years, at least I shouldn't have to wait for new releases now).

But in some ways this was almost as bad as Twilight.  Despite the author insisting that Diana isn't pathetic, she was.  And she's supposed to be in her mid-thirties?  She came off as a teenager most of the time.  The worst line was when Diana's aunt was concerned that she had changed so much after meeting Matthew- that the independent Diana was gone.  Diana's answer was that she loves him.

Still, there is actually a plot here which helps a lot.  And there are far fewer Twilight moments here than in, well, Twilight.  And I sincerely hope Diana actually stops being pathetic instead of just hearing other characters tell me she isn't.

And there's lots of cool history stuff.  The author really likes wine though, which is fine, but it did get a little over the top in places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment