07 June 2012

Stiff Upper Lip

So everything set to move back to the US next month, specifically to the east coast, and I am trying to think of good reasons to want to leave Kyrgyzstan. I've thought of a few that are unquestionably good.  Maybe tomorrow I'll post the things that are a little more questionable because I'll be getting something good there, but losing something good here.

  • I won't have to spend the entire winter walking on ice. I was closest to being ready to leave Bishkek at the end of February.
  • It's so much easier for me to buy clothes in the US.  After 18 months, we need to go shopping.
  • Clean water comes out of the tap in the US.
That's everything I can think of right now.  Maybe I'll come up with more later.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the ice. Fond memories of falling several times each winter (in Kiev too). I miss giggling at the girls in spike heels.

    So, my husband will be in Bishkek next week (Fri-Sat). He would like to shop at an old haunt of ours, but I'm not sure it's still there. It's an antique/vintage book store back behind Chuy somewhere. ul. Toktogula, I think. Do you know it? Is it still there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have been able to figure out how anyone can walk on two inches of ice in spiked heels.

    I don't know about that bookstore, but I wish it did, because it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I missed this. I suppose you've moved back to the U.S. before after living abroad. So you are probably familiar with the adjustment that is required.

    When I moved back to the U.S. after living in Sweden for so long, I did not expect the terrible homesickness that I felt for Sweden.

    Took me a long time to get over it. In fact, I don't think I ever quite recovered from it.

    However, it helped me knowing that we made the decision that was best for our family, even if it was challenging.

    Hugs to you. If this isn't too nosy, if you are ever near NY in a year or two, look me up. I live an hour north of NYC when I am in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete