03 June 2012

Something to Love in Kyrgyzstan a Day: Ramadan Singers

Ramadan started not too long after the first time we arrived in Kyrgyzstan, so Ramadan singing did too.  I didn't learn too much about it the first time around, but I did better this time.  Here's my first post from Tokmok:

We had our first Jaramazan come by last night, the Kyrgyz boys who come around at night and sing.  We didn't know the two boys, but they were kind enough to sing three times for us, the last time so we could record them.  I hope I can post the audio file here because I want to be sure to save the song.

I'll be asking around to see if this is specifically a Kyrgyz (and Kazakh?) thing, or if Uyghurs and Uzbeks do it too.  I'm guessing it's Kyrgyz because the song uses the word Orozo and from what I understood, it has something to do with the mountains.  But if there were a place in Central Asia where one group borrowed an interesting tradition from another, it would be here in Tokmok.

Actually, I'm assuming that because of what the singers are called, that there's more to the story than just a traditional Kyrgyz song.  Maybe there's more than one version?  Anyway, I hope more boys stop by because it's one of my favorite parts of Ramadan.  Hopefully we gave them enough money that they tell their friends it's worth coming. 

Here's a post that has the lyrics to the Kyrgyz version.  I did learn later that there are different versions.


  These are some of our singers from the first time. I can still hear them all singing in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment