01 June 2012

Something to Love in Kyrgyzstan a Day: Hoopoes

This is likely our last month in Kyrgyzstan for a while.  There's a small chance we'll get to come back at the end of the summer, but we'll probably end up on the east coast of the US for a while.  I'm looking forward to that, but it's hard to leave Kyrgyzstan again.  So this month's something-a-day will be about Kyrgyzstan, both from this most recent stay here, and when we were here in 2005/6. 

Photo taken in Tokmok, Kyrgyzstan, March 31, 2011.
Hoopoe

I still remember how delighted I was to see this bird last year in Tokmok since it's not found in the western hemisphere and it's one of those birds that crops up in books.

I haven't really seen a lot of new birds here because I haven't gotten out of the cities much, but it's been so much fun to see and learn about the birds I have seen in the last year and a half.

2 comments:

  1. What a unique and beautiful bird. When you get back to the States, you should check out Peter Sis's version of The Conference of the Birds. The star of the show is a hoopoe. I'm jealous that you've seen one in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't seen that version before.

    ReplyDelete