31 May 2012

Recipe a Day: Milkshake from a Bag

Here's the final recipe for the month.  I'm glad I did this project in May because even though the produce is getting better now, it's going to be at least 85 degrees in the kitchen for the summer and I won't be cooking as much.

This is how we make milkshakes here.  My oldest is the official milkshake maker of the family.  I'd actually never watched him do this because I didn't want to become the official milkshake maker.

This is a very flexible recipe, obviously, and it's the number one reason my husband wanted to get a blender.  I love these.  The ice cream bars here are really good, but the regular bulk vanilla ice cream is nasty, and I'd rather eat this.

Here's what you'll need:

  • A bag of frozen whole milk
  • Stuff to make it taste good (fruit, nuts, cocoa, sugar, mint)
  • A blender

We buy approximately one-liter bags of milk here.  This is whole milk and it was frozen solid.  However, that's too frozen for our blender, so my husband put it in the microwave for a bit and is now banging the bag on the counter to soften things up just a little.

Meanwhile, my son was grinding up some peppermints and cocoa and sugar.  I have no idea what the proportions are because he doesn't measure.  I'm so proud.

And adding vanilla.

And blending everything together.  We like chocolate mint shakes, but you can use a million different things.  Use your imagination.

Add the milk.  You can see it's not a rock, but it's still pretty frozen.

Break it up some.

Add a little milk (more or less as needed, and depending on your blender).

And blend.

And poke and blend.  Sometimes we melt a bar of dark chocolate and add it at the very end while the blender is running.  The chocolate re-solidifies quickly in little tiny bits throughout the whole thing.  That's my favorite.

Keep poking and blending till it's ready.  Then pour it out and serve.  Yes, you will be able to pour these, so you'd better eat them quickly.  If you have a real milkshake place nearby, you won't be impressed with these, but they're great in a place like Kyrgyzstan.

No comments:

Post a Comment