12 May 2012

Recipe a Day: Iraqi Kichree

Another easy one.  Are you seeing a pattern here?  Ethnic food does not have to be difficult.  This is red lentils and rice and obviously closely related to Indian dishes.  I've made this at least once a month for more than 10 years.

It's not a very attractive dish at all.  Sorry about that. 

Here's what you'll need:

2-4 tablespoons of oil
4-6 cloves of garlic
1 cup red lentils
1 cup rice (I've used many, many types of rice in this successfully, except black)
2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp salt, to taste
3/4 tsp red pepper, or more to taste
4 cups water
Plain yogurt

Heat the oil and add the whole garlic cloves.

While the garlic is cooking a bit, measure your lentils and rice (I used Pakistani parboiled rice this time).

And rinse well.  Lentils usually need a good rinsing job.

Add them to the pot.

Along with everything else except the water and stir.

Then add the water.

Bring to a boil , cover, and lower the heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.

After 30 minutes you might want to check to make sure it isn't sticking.  If it is, add a little water.


It'll be done when everything is soft and mushed together.  If you used brown rice, it might take a little longer than 40 minutes, or you can eat it before the rice is completely soft.  That tastes good too.  Dig around and find the garlic cloves and mash them with a fork and then mix well.  I used my very fresh garlic and there wasn't much left to mash with the fork.  Usually the garlic cloves are easy to find.






And serve.  Lovely, isn't it?  Especially in that pot.  It looks a little better when you top it with yogurt.

2 comments:

  1. Now I know what to do with that half-bag of red lentils in my cupboard. Yay! Dinner idea! Thanks so much for all these recipes. I'm definitely making some carrot salad soon. I've never been able to master it -- nor plov in a regular kitchen (we had the special plov kitchen in our garden).

    I spent some time looking around here last night. Such fun! I've also dabbled in homeschooling my eldest but have found it so hard with the lack of other adult mentors and activities to keep her involved with peers to some degree. Also, I feel for you in regards to your lack of LDS community. I know very little know about it, except that community is very supportive and important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your comments, Spalva. I appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete