22 May 2012

Recipe a Day: Indian Fish with Coconut Milk and Turmeric

This is a really easy fish recipe.  It's not amazingly flavorful, but simply good.  I love it with these vegetables and rice.

You can bake, cook, or grill this.  I've never had a grill so I've never done that, but if you want to try it, cut the coconut milk and turmeric in half and brush it on the fish as you're grilling. Salt and pepper the fish before grilling instead of adding the seasonings to the coconut milk. Baking and cooking instructions are below.

Here's what you'll need:

1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp turmeric
1/2-1 tsp salt, to taste
1/2-1 tsp red pepper, to taste
1 pound fish

I don't have coconut milk here, so I've been using this stuff my mother brought last year.  It's not the same, but so much better than nothing.  I'll bring it with me the next time I live here.  I used 1 tablespoon of the concentrate and one cup of water instead of the coconut milk called for.

It's obviously not the same as coconut milk, but maybe I'll be more willing to use light coconut milk now.  Anyway, combine the coconut milk and turmeric.

Start to heat it and add the salt and pepper.

And the fish.  At this point, you can put it in the oven at 400 degrees if you want to.  Cook till the fish is just done.

If you cook it on the stove, bring the sauce to a boil, then cover and simmer till the fish is just done.

And serve.  We like the sauce here so I make it pretty saucy.  You can do less if you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment