20 May 2012

Recipe a Day: Easy Orange Chicken

My middle son really likes orange chicken, and so do I, but it can be a bit of a hassle to make.  So we came up with a quick and easy way to make what he likes.  I always serve this with rice and I think a green vegetable is good too, or maybe some cabbage.  You can use sliced raw chicken and simmer it in the sauce if you like, instead of the cooked shredded chicken.

Here's what you'll need:

  • 1.5 cups water
  • Juice of two juicy lemons
  • Juice of one juicy orange
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup white sugar (or use all brown, up to one cup)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • Chunk of ginger
  • Bunch of onions
  • Crushed red pepper to taste
  • Splash of sesame oil
  • 1/3 pound cooked shredded chicken (or more if you like)
Combine the liquids at the beginning and start to bring them to a boil.

Add your sugar

I use some white instead of all brown because white is easier to get here.  Use whatever you want.

Mince your garlic and ginger and chop the green onions.  The strawberries sneaked into this photo, but you don't have to add them.  I don't.

Add them to the sauce along with the crushed red pepper.

And some sesame oil.

When it's boiling, add the chicken, bring back to a boil, and simmer till your rice is ready.

You can thicken the sauce with some cornstarch and water, but I never do.  I bet some green garlic would be good in this too.  But everything tastes better with green garlic.



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad we don't need to add strawberries. But they do look yummy.

    ReplyDelete