18 May 2012

Recipe a Day: Dungan Lazy (No, You're Not Reading the Title Correctly)

This is a Dungan red pepper paste.  Lazy (лазы) rhymes with gauzy.  I think that's the closest rhyme I can think of.  There are lots of different versions.  Some might have tomatoes, some are saucier than others.  This is the easiest method I know and since I'm basically looking for some spice when I make lazy, this works for me.

They sell crushed red pepper here that's good for lazy.  It's in fairly large flakes.  You can use more finely ground red pepper, or you can crush whole dried peppers in a blender or a mortar and pestle.  I'm not really picky about what kind of peppers or ground pepper you use.  In the US I'll crush my own Thai red peppers.  You don't have to remove the seeds.

Here's what you'll need:

  • Equal parts crushed red pepper, minced garlic, and vegetable oil (all these can be adjusted)
  • 1/2 tsp salt per 2 tablespoons pepper (that makes a slightly salty paste- less salt is more typical here, but I like to bring out the flavor of the garlic)

Combine the minced garlic and red pepper in a small bowl. This is just one tablespoon of each because that's how much garlic I had in the house, but usually I make lazy with 2-4 tablespoons of each.

Combine.  Meanwhile, put the oil in a tiny pot and heat it till it's start to sizzle. Don't let it burn.

Then add the oil to the pepper and garlic. It was hard to get a picture of this part because the oil was hot.

And add your salt. 

And stir.  It's not uncommon to see oilier lazy.  You can add twice as much oil and that would be normal.  You can also use less garlic if you like.  It lasts a long time in the fridge, or you can just leave it on the table like they do here.  You'll often see a bowl of lazy on the table when you go to a cafe.





4 comments:

  1. This sounds just like Tunisian Harissa. They put that stuff in everything, including pasta sauce. And they always serve it on the side too, just in case the dish isn't spicy enough already. But you can buy it out of a vat in any corner store, so it never occurred to me to make it. Will your kids eat this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harissa is made with fresh peppers, though, isn't it? But chile pastes are all fairly similar. I have at least five different ones I make. This one is probably the easiest though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or maybe Fozzie? Like Fozzie bear. Wocka, wocka, wocka!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a much better rhyme!

    ReplyDelete