10 May 2012

Recipe a Day: Bhutanese Cheese Curry

Another easy one, this time from Bhutan.  I use paneer in this recipe, but you can also use feta and cut way back on the salt (you might not need any added salt at all). The real recipe uses a Bhutanese cheese that I can't find a recipe for, so you're going to have to substitute with something.  I think paneer is simple and good. 

Also, I've seen versions of this that don't have the tomatoes, and I have no idea how authentic the tomatoes are, but either way, I like the tomatoes, so I put them in.

You can use fresh chiles if you have them, which I don't right now, at least in my little neighborhood.  This should be spicy so don't skimp on the peppers, but you can choose. 

As usual, be flexible. 

Here's what you need:

4 cups water
1 Tablespoon oil
Lots and lots of crushed red pepper, or sliced red cayennes or other hot chiles
1-2 large sliced onions
5 or more cloves of garlic, sliced or minced or crushed
4 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 Tablespoon salt
3 cups cubed paneer

Put your water and oil in a pot.

Add the sliced onions.

And the crushed red pepper, or fresh chiles.

Bring to a boil.

Then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Chop your tomatoes and garlic while it simmers.

And cube your cheese.

You can make the cubes the size you like.  I like fairly large bite-sized chunks.

After the water/onion/pepper has simmered for 15 minutes, add the tomatoes and garlic.

And the salt.

Bring back to a boil and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.

Add the cheese and simmer for a few more minutes.

Remove from the heat, but don't serve it for 10-15 minutes.  I like to eat this with naan.


2 comments:

  1. I can just taste the bread, warm from the market! Not sure how I got here but I lived in Bishkek from 2002-2005. Sigh. Miss it. Thanks for bringing me back (loved the colors and sights of Nooruz!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Kyrgyzstan too when I'm gone. Especially the bread.

    ReplyDelete