21 May 2012

Recipe a Day: Bangla Vegetables

I think this is my favorite way to serve vegetables, and that's saying a lot.  I've made this using all sorts of green vegetables, including zucchini, broccoli, and all sorts of greens.  And I mean all sorts of greens.  In Bishkek I've usually used what I use in the photos which is jusay (garlic chives), sorrel, and green garlic.  Baby bok choy is good, or amaranth greens, dandelion, spinach, turnip or beet greens, chard, really anything.  Just use something green.


Here's what you need:
  •  2-3 tablespoons oil
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp each of fennel, cumin, sedana (nigella or black onion seed), and mustard seed (yellow or black)
  • 1/2-1 tsp cayenne or crushed red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 large chopped onion
  • About a pound of green stuff (I used two bunches of jusay, a bunch of the mystery green, and a bunch of green garlic)
  • 1 tsp salt



Heat the oil in a wok or a big pot and add the spices and stir.

And the garlic and stir again.

Then toss in the onions and cook them till they're golden and soft.  Turn down the heat a little if you need to so they don't brown before they're really soft.

When I use green garlic, I add it after the onions have cook for a few minutes.  While the onion is cooking, I chop up the vegetables.  If it's broccoli or zucchini, I do bite-size pieces.  If they're various greens, I roughly chop them up.

When the onions are soft, add the chopped vegetables and the salt.  Stir-fry till the vegetables are just tender.  That will obviously take longer with broccoli than spinach.  Just pay attention and cook the vegetables till they're the way you like them.

And then serve.  This is a fairly assertive way to prepare vegetables so it's especially good with something that's a little milder.  I usually serve this with the fish I'll post tomorrow, and then whenever I feel like eating this.

3 comments:

  1. As I see all those delicious recipes I am thinking "If I happen to be in your neighborhood I should make sure to drop by your house and get an invitation for dinner"
    It is a nice dream!
    In truth I am a bit far from your house and anyway with my chemo I have lost most of my sense of taste. This is why it is extra nice to read all those recipes. I can usually imagine how something will taste before I cook it and I can still do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're ever in our town, I'd love to have you over for dinner, even if you couldn't taste it very well. That's a sad side effect of the chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll make sure to drop by ;-)
    I am still hoping that this is just a temporary side effect. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete