09 April 2012

Female Nomad and Friends

You might think I wouldn't have picked this one up, based on all the things I didn't like about the original Female Nomad.  But the concept was interesting enough, at least the food part, that I thought it was worth a try.  It's a collection of essays and stories from a wide variety of authors, very loosely grouped into a few categories.  In fact, the groupings were so loose that I didn't see the connections till I was nearly finished with the book and was annoyed it wasn't more coherently organized.  I felt like I never knew what I was going to get on the next page.

In the intro, the main authors/editors write a lot about testing the recipes, but then they almost seemed an afterthought in the book.  The stories rarely connected with the recipes.  I'd have preferred better writing to well-tested recipes.  There really wasn't much that I'd want to try, and I'm the kind of person that likes to try new recipes.

And that takes me to the individual stories.  Some were simply awful, many were fine, and a few were good.  They were all quick to read so that it wasn't too hard to keep moving through quickly; if it had been any slower, I'd have quit.  But there were some where I knew exactly what the author was talking about (in particular, the story about mailing the letter in France could have been me), and a few shared amazing experiences.  But overall, I felt like it suffered from the same problem the original did- too much about the writer and not enough about the people and places they were in. 

The thing that will ruin a travel book for me the fastest is when the author is more concerned about what they learn about themselves when they travel instead of what they learn about everyone else and the rest of the world.

1 comment:

  1. "The thing that will ruin a travel book for me the fastest is when the author is more concerned about what they learn about themselves when they travel instead of what they learn about everyone else and the rest of the world."

    Oh, I KNOW. So many authors seem to want to tell you every little detail of their psyche instead of something *interesting.*

    ReplyDelete