05 March 2012

Warts and All Family History

In addition to this blog, I have a few others, one of which is about family history.  There's not much activity there, obviously, but I mostly have it up so I can find other people who are interested in my ancestors and I'm always delighted when someone emails or comments from there.

Today though I got a comment on one of my husband's ancestors whom I don't know a great deal about, although I've found some things online, particularly quoted from one book.  Some of what was from that book was on another family history website I used to link to till it was taken down; I put that same info on my website afterwards because it wasn't available elsewhere and cited it whenever I knew the authors.

Anyway, that comment apparently was from the owner of the other website who said he'd taken it down because of the "sleaziness" of that set of ancestors.  What's more, he said he'd destroyed all the personal records he had of those people.

Now, the whole thing could be made up (the comment was anonymous), but based on a few things in the past, I don't think it is.  But I can't tell you how disappointing it is to find someone who's done research on anyone in history, famous or not, and then learn they have destroyed that research because the subjects were "sleazy."

What's more, there was absolutely nothing even questionable in anything I read on that website, or in anything else I've found about those people.  Sure, they're not perfect, but they're far from awful unless there are some major events that have been very successfully covered up. I have some ancestors that some would describe as sleazy, and not necessarily undeservedly so.  But I can't imagine trying to wipe them from memory (even if I do edit their histories when I'm writing something that children will see).

1 comment:

  1. I hope it was made up.

    If we got rid of all our iffy ancestors, we wouldn't have any left...

    ReplyDelete