14 March 2012

Photo a Day, March 14

In Tokmok I'd buy milk from the neighbors.  There were lots of houses that had signs posted on their gates saying they were selling milk.  It was 25 som a liter in the winter and 20 in the summer.

When we lived here before, the ayran man would come around every morning selling milk.  He'd call out what he was selling (ayran is similar to kefir) and you could go down and buy whatever milk product you wanted.  I never did though, because I was a wimp.

This is how I buy my milk now.  I take a pot downstairs with me and get three liters of milk; it's always best to bring your own pot or jar because decent bottles are always in demand.  In Bishkek, the milk costs 35 som in the winter and 30 in the summer (although it switched to the summer price earlier in Bishkek than it did in Tokmok).  I don't know if there's a system for who gets to sell milk here, but all the milk people know each other.  Some days there's just milk, but other days there's ayran and tvorog too.  One woman brings sour cream.  Another woman usually has eggs and vegetables from her garden, although she wasn't here much in the winter.  Some days there are 3 or 4 different people selling here, although usually there's just one and maybe two.  I use the milk I buy here for yogurt and paneer since I have to heat it anyway to make those.  I like it for drinking too, but the rest of the family doesn't, so I buy bagged milk elsewhere for that.  It costs a little more, but not much.

No comments: