13 March 2012

One Day in My Life and a Photo or Two

I was looking back at what I'd posted a year ago and saw that I'd done a day in my life.  Here's how things are different in Bishkek.  I'll get back to the regularly scheduled photos tomorrow.  Actually, I'm impressed I've been keeping up on it at all.  Anyway. Here's the day.


  • Get up at 7:30 and straighten out the duvet.  Bed's made.
  • Turn on the computer (it takes about 10 minutes to get going), start the laundry, get the boys up and start them listening to Tom Sawyer.
  • Run outside with my pot to buy 3 liters of milk for yogurt.  There are nearly always 2-3 people within a block of me selling fresh, whole milk in recycled plastic bottles for 30 som a liter in the mornings.
  • Boil the milk, eat breakfast, check email and blogs, download CNN Student News and a chemistry video and get everything else ready for school, husband makes breakfast for the rest of the family, pester the boys to clean their room and dust mop and mop their sections of the house
  • Explain math, Latin, and spelling with oldest around 9 AM while middle son works on the computer, then start him on his own work
  • Work on the yogurt, do the dishes (with hot water from the tap), dust mop and mop my section of the floor, and hang up the laundry in between playing houses with the littlest and answering questions about angles and past participles.
  • Around 10, do Latin with middle son while oldest is on the computer, then he works on his own while I exercise.  I exercise now because middle son has no questions.
  • Middle son exercises and I help oldest with his writing assignment which threatens to destroy all his plans for the day.  We survive the lesson after reading the instructions carefully.
  • Boys practice the guitar and piano
  • Make lunch around 12, eat, and clean up (with hot water from the tap- I still love it)
  • Do geography, logic, and scriptures with both boys, then oldest exercises.  I get on the computer for a few minutes.
  • Walk with middle son to school for his PE class at 1:30.  Oldest and youngest play together while we're gone.
  • Drop off middle son and walk on to Goin to pick up rice noodles, brown/date sugar, pressed tofu, and bok choy
  • Pick up middle son
  • Stop at Narodniy and the bazaar to pick up milk, bread, cheese (at Narodniy where I can always find these things) and rice, eggs, carrots, cabbage, laghman, naan, oranges, and bananas (at the bazaar which fortunately is next door)
  • Around 3:15, haul the food up the final three flights and unload after a 5-mile round trip
  • Do some reading and math with the little one, then all the boys play with Legos while I read (it's The Corpse Walker today)
  • Start dinner at 5.  We'll have laghman and cabbage tonight with black vinegar, then tomorrow we'll eat the tofu with green beans I froze last fall because they are completely unavailable in the winter here.
  • Eat dinner at 5:45, then I play Risk and diddle around on the iPad while the husband plays with the little one 
  • Do the dishes (hot water from the tap!), then get things ready for the evening and bed for the little one
  • Bathe the little one around 7:15, tuck him in bed, and read and sing till about 8
  • Play card games with the rest of the family for about 45 minutes, then send the boys to bed
  • Diddle around on the computer, mostly reading LDS and expat blogs whose lives in no way resemble mine.  I need to do better with this part of my day.
  • Play one more card game with husband, then head off to bed around 10:30


Most things are so much easier here in Bishkek.  I walk more, but that's only to get the boys to and from their activities.  Since those activities make them happy, it works for me (and I like to walk).  I also am able to spend a lot more time with the boys doing school and with the little one than I could a year ago.  That's the biggest benefit of all.  Housework is so overrated.

Edited to add:
There are a couple of pictures I can post here that go along with this post.  The first is my current little bazaar with lots of stuff in front on IWD.  Usually there's nothing there, but on the 8th and a few days before there were lots of gifts for sale.  The door leads to the open first floor of a concrete building where there are about 7 vendors selling stuff in a typical bazaar style.



The last three photos are from last year in the Tokmok bazaar.

1 comment:

  1. Glad we visited you in Tokmok but VERY happy you live in Bishkek now.

    ReplyDelete