28 February 2012

Leering, or Is It Staring?

There are a lot of things I like about the Middle East, but the staring/leering (at best) isn't one of them.  While you might get leered at in the US too, it's nothing like the places I've been in the Middle East. 

It's not like that at all in Kyrgyzstan.  I have never, ever been in a place where I felt that I wasn't ever getting stared at (except if someone thinks I'm not dressed warmly enough, but that's totally different).  It's not just me; I spend a lot of time on the streets and I've noticed that even women who are dressed to be looked at (and would be leered at by some men in the US), simply aren't. 

You see a huge range of clothing on women here, pretty much everything you can think of (although completely veiled is extremely rare).  No one gets stared at.

Refreshing.  There's got to be a post about modesty in there somewhere.

I have heard it's not this way in Tajikistan, but unfortulatnly, despite my interest in Central Asia, I've only been in northern Kyrgyzstan, so I don't know if this is the case elsewhere.  I'd be especially interested in hearing what it's like in Uzbekistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment