14 December 2011

State of Wonder

I'm not really sure how I feel about this book.  The story was unique and interesting, the writing was excellent, so I liked the book.  But now that I've finished it, I'm left feeling like it didn't really do anything.  Yes, Marina does what she set out to do, but other than that, I feel like the book didn't go anywhere.  Dr. Swenson was the better character, but she was too often lost in the story.  It asked a lot of interesting questions, but it felt a little preachy at times (even though I agreed with the sentiment behind some of the preachiness), and I thought it ignored some other important questions.  And there were so many details that didn't go anywhere at all.

Still, I don't regret reading it, although I can't say you really have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment