06 December 2011

My Bishkek isn't Your Bishkek

Liked this post from another American living in Bishkek.   There are a lot of good things in the post, but here's what I think really matters: "...I can only write what I observe and what I feel, and to realize that my truth may be different from your truth."  That's why I think it's important for more people to write about all the places and people there are in the world, because my Bishkek and Cairo and Seattle and family and homeschooling and church and everything else are different from every single person's out there.  So I write about mine.  And it's interesting to see how my Bishkek changes as time goes on.

There.  A post that isn't about food.

1 comment:

  1. Posts about food are always good--but then I am incredibly fascinated by food and its role in culture.

    I've been reading different blogs about Riyadh, Saudi Arabia from various ex-pats. I like reading their perspectives, but that doesn't change the fact that when I move there, I intend to experience Riyadh for myself. I expect there may be some similarities, but also differences.

    Whatever the similarities and differences, it is fascinating to read and see how people experience the same places.

    ReplyDelete