24 December 2011

The Christmas Tree Blessing

Our first real Christmas together was in New Jersey, and just the two of us.  We didn't have much money, like the stories always go, and we couldn't afford a Christmas tree.  That mattered to me a lot, especially when we couldn't do much else. We'd gone to several lots on the first Saturday in December looking for something that would work, but between the tree and the stand, the money wasn't there. 


When we got to church the next day, the Relief Society President tapped me on the shoulder and handed me an envelope with "For Christmas Tree" written on the outside.  Inside was the same amount of money we'd figured we'd need to buy our tree and our stand.  I don't know who gave us that money, or why, or how, but I will never forget how I felt that day.


Some people I know might say this was a result of our paying our tithing or doing something else right, but I don't think so.  I think that when we do what the Lord asks us to do, He doesn't bless us with a better job, or a Christmas tree, or enough food for Thanksgiving.  He blesses us to be more like Him, because that's the goal.

I think it's more likely that the person who gave us the Christmas tree money was the one who was truly blessed because they were the one who did something that led them to be more like Christ.  I'm not inclined to think it was a coincidence that someone thought to give us that specific amount of money for that specific purpose. I think that person had to have been doing something right.


My husband and I were blessed, yes, but I don't think it was because we had done anything right.  We were blessed because the Lord takes care of his children, everywhere, no matter what we do, because he loves us 

But the blessings I really want are those that help me become more like Jesus Christ.  I think it's easier for the Lord to bless us that way when we're already trying to do what he asks us to do.

1 comment: