23 November 2011

Raxmat and Thanks

I've been around, despite not posting, dealing with normal-life things that are the same as what I'd be doing in the US.  Mostly.  Bishkek does put an interesting twist on anything we try to do. 

Can I do a ubiquitous thanks for stuff post too?  Yes, I can.

I am still grateful every.single.time I turn on a faucet and hot water comes out of any of the four different faucets in my house.  I don't care that it's not potable; potable water is over-rated.  It's hot and clean and reliable. Or I can choose to have cold water come out.

I'm delighted that it's so easy to do the dishes now.  Dishwashers are over-rated too.


I love that I can buy milk and cheese a block away and even more I love the little bazaar next door that has funchooza, sparzhe, all kinds of vegetables, all kinds of rice, toilet paper, notebooks, fresh naan, toilet cleaner, vegetable oil, sesame oil, black vinegar, laghman, and a million other things. 


I'm even more in love with the fact that my oldest son is willing and able to go to that bazaar and buy pasta for lunch on his own.


I am happy I can buy peanut butter, tilapia, tofu, bok choy, gochujang, bulgur, red lentils, garbanzo beans, tahini, and dark chocolate even if I have to walk a few miles. 



There are 6 local women here who make life better, even though I don't get to see them as often as any of us would like.  Two in particular make it possible for me to do what I need to do here.


I'm so happy that my oldest is finding some friends.  I hope middle son has some success with that soon.


My husband is doing such interesting research.  I've been doing some interesting research too.  Not that the two have anything to do with each other or necessarily the following, but I'm so glad I can live in Bishkek right now.

I'm grateful for ereaders and ebooks.  They're so normal to us now that I don't even think about it, but they have completely changed our lives and made so many things possible.  I'm also fanatically enthusiastic about our speedy internet connection.  Everything has been so much easier in Bishkek.


But still I'm so glad I had the chance to live in Tokmok most of this year.  I miss it- the quieter streets and the friendly neighbors (although the neighbors are friendly here) and the bazaar.  I learned a lot there that changed my thinking in many ways.



There are other things I wish I could have been thankful for, like having a branch of the LDS church here, or having been to Uzbekistan this year, or knowing what we're going to be doing in the next few months, or being able to buy good cheddar cheese (I suppose the cheese is small potatoes).  But you can't have all the big things, and there are a few big things I do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment