24 October 2011

Campaign Signs and Other Election Wonderings

I was curious, last week, to see whose campaign signs we'd see in Issyk-Kul.  Since I have to stare out the window every single second of any car ride, I don't think I missed much on my side of the bus.  I'd say Atambaev had less than half the signs, but not by much.  Mostly it was the same signs I see in Bishkek, just in different proportions.

We were also wondering what Roza Otunbaeva will do next year.  There isn't exactly a prescedent for what former presidents in Central Asia ought to do.  Bakiev and Akaev are former presidents, of course, but their leaving wasn't exactly amicable.  Neither lives in Kyrgyzstan anymore (Akaev teaches in Moscow and Bakiev is still  in Belarus).  But I suspect Otunbaeva will stay in Kyrgyzstan and I'll be interested to see what she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment