16 September 2011

Freezer Pickles and Green Beans

I was pleasantly surprised, last winter, when I could find such a variety of vegetables for sale.  They were expensive, but I hadn't expected to find much more than potatoes, cabbage, radishes, carrots, and potatoes.  I could buy peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, green garlic, various herbs and greens, and a few more things even in January and February. 

But like I said, they were expensive.  The prices for most produce easily go up 10 times here in the winter.  And there are plenty of things that aren't available at all.  My freezer is currently nearly full of strawberries, raspberries, apricots, plums, green garlic, eggplant, zucchini, peppers, and pumpkin.  I need to get some peaches in there, and lots of green beans, and some freezer pickles. 

I'm a little skeptical about the freezer pickles.  I can't believe they stay crunchy even though I've been assured they do, but I also can't pass up the opportunity to save some cucumbers now and not pay through the nose for them in the winter.  And pickled cucumbers are delicious on plov and laghman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment