14 July 2011

Kyrgyz in China

I've been looking at doing a loop around China, from the Torugart Pass through the Kyzylsu Kyrgyz Autonomous Region and Kashgar and back to the Irkeshtam Pass, mostly to see if I can learn a little more about the Kyrgyz minority in China.  We meet people often with relatives who live there, or with grandparents who were there for a few decades.  And we hear bits about how Kyrgyz are diffferent there, and how they are the same.

So I was delighted tonight when Radio Free Europe had a story tonight about a Kyrgyz woman who did that very thing, although things didn't turn out the way she'd wanted them to.  I don't know if we'll be able to go there (the logistics are daunting- and expensive- for a family of five) but it's nice to learn a little more.  It's hard to find much information at all about that area.  I was lucky to find a book in the library about it.  It has lovely pictures and some interesting information, but it would have been a lot more interesting if it hadn't been an official Chinese publication. 

1 comment:

  1. That would be such a great trip. I only did "Baby steps for beginners in China" but I am hoping to go back and do more.

    ReplyDelete