21 July 2011

I Can't Hear My Complaining

 When Blogger wasn't accessible for a few days, I'd been planning on posting about all the things that weren't working right in our house.  So I wrote that up and posted it elsewhere and felt a lot better the next morning.  And there really are a lot of things that are going okay here.  Here's a few:

  • Even though most of the Uzbeks in town think we're spies, our neighbors don't
  • Both the fridge and the freezer are working.  The freezer is slowly icing up, like usual, but there should be a few weeks until I have to frantically thaw it out before everything goes bad.
  • The pump is working again.  There is nothing more I need to say about that happy event.
  • Most days haven't been over 35 degrees
  • We would have been going to Khujand, Tajikistan next year if the US government had funded the Fulbright-Hayes.  I don't think this is a good one, but my children do.
  • The internet works as long as the electricity works.
  • Walnuts look very interesting inside before they dry
  • There are currently 6 liters of milk sitting in my fridge.  6!
  • After trying for six months to find someone who could come to the house daily to help me with Russian, I finally have a good Russian teacher
  • We have 4 fans
  • There are chocolate chips in the freezer and peanut butter in the fridge (hot kitchen)

4 comments:

  1. That does sound better! Especially the chocolate chip part. I suppose your stay just wouldn't be complete if no one accused you of being from the CIA...my husband got that a lot in Chile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate chips make everything better! And I think that first one, is a big deal. Glad some things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 liters of milk!!!

    I was accused of being a spy in Kazakhstan after taking photos of the colourful "salata" stand!! Mind you it was in a half deserted town where they use to build weapons during the USSR era...but "salata" was NOT their secret weapon...or was it?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot figure out where the spy thing comes from. Honestly, does the US send families to little towns in Kyrgyzstan to spy? I don't know if there's a profile of a spy, but I don't think we're it.

    And the salata must have been the weapon. Or maybe it's the colorful shutters I've been taking photos of.

    ReplyDelete