01 June 2011

Lazy

No, that's not lazy, but лазы, a very simple Dungan chile paste. Take about a tablespoon of crushed red pepper and put it in a bowl, then add about 5 or 6 large cloves of crushed garlic and 2 tablespoons of water.  Pour in 3 tablespoons of hot oil and half a teaspoon of salt and mix.

That's an official recipe which I need to test.  In the past I've just sauteed the garlic in a couple of tablespoons of oil, then added the red pepper and some salt.

I wish I'd learned to cook in metric terms. It would be so much easier to sort out recipes instead of having to translate the measurements into our silly system.  But I'm planning on posting more Dungan recipes that I've found and tried on Russian websites because they're nearly impossible to find in English.  Most will be from http://www.besh-barmak.ru/ and http://www.dungane.kz/rus/01/#.

4 comments:

  1. So every time you say "Dungan," I can't shake the feeling that you must be talking about Star Wars. I'm not sure if it's because of Jar Jar Binks and the Naboo Gungans or Obi Wan Kenobi warning that "the Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly." Or maybe it's just my inherent nerdiness coupled with living on Tatooine too long . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I just posted as my husband. But he would probably say the same thing. Your Dungan chili paste sounds a lot like Tunisian harissa. Can you get your kids to eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries. My boys like spicy food, but the one who likes it best doesn't like chile pastes at all. He just dumps cayenne pepper on everything. I like this one because it's so easy, but there are some other really good ones I like too. And harissa is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you should try searching for Dungan. I get all sorts of strange results when I do. It definitely sounds like Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete