24 February 2011

White Trash, Again

I knew this would happen, but I still hate that stupid, flimsy, little plastic bags are taking over my life.  It is almost impossible not to get people to double bag whatever it is you buy and there is absolutely nothing you can do with those bags to reuse them.  Nothing.  I dare you to come up with something practical.  They are not strong enough to line a garbage can, you can’t put anything else in them because they probably tore on the way home (or someone knotted the top and you had to tear it open to get to your eggs), and you can't crochet anything with them, even if you think that is useful.

Sometimes I can buy a package of cheese without having it bagged, if I am insistent enough.  But that’s about it.  Even though I tell people I don’t need a bag, I still get a bag or two.  I bring my own bags and I still get plastic bags.  And since you buy everything from different people, you end up buying five different items and getting 7 or 8 plastic bags.  And half of those will probably end up attached to a tree no matter how carefully I dispose of them.

4 comments:

  1. Really? I've always lined all of our bathroom and bedroom trash cans with grocery bags and never had a problem.

    I actually can't use my re-usable grocery bags very often because I need the plastic ones for trash bags!

    Also, and this may not be true where you are, but here, food pantries are always in need of grocery bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories of Russia! The bags in Lebanon are very sturdy so are good trash can liners. I remember washing the least-flimsy of the Russian bags so we could use them to hold other stuff. Do you have food storage things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, there are a few stores that use bags than you can reuse, but most places use bags that are more like produce bags with handles. We definitely reuse the decent bags, and I brought a stash of Target bags with us from the US so we wouldn't run out of garbage can liners.

    Jadda, we have found some plastic containers with reasonable lids. I could use some buckets though. We might get some for the flour and the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these thin flimsy little bags. I hate them. You are right, there is nothing you can do with them and they seem to multiply all on their own.
    One of the thing I remember most vividly about Kenyan landscape is huge areas of the country side where every single tree (thorn acacia in that part of the world) had dozens of those shredded black bags caught in their thorns.
    And those bags are so thin and become so brittle in the sun that even if you had an army of volunteers you could never take them off the trees again.

    I watch a documentary once, I cannot remember where it was but those thin bags had been declared illegal to use and there was "guard" going through the markets confiscating them and fining the store owners using them.
    The thing is that they are so much cheaper to buy for the store owners.

    ReplyDelete