02 February 2011

Eat Pray Love

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and IndonesiaSo I finally read it.  I didn’t expect to think it was the best book ever (and it must be, the way everyone’s talked about it for years), and I didn’t.  It was just too long.  In each country I got heartily sick of the author about halfway through.  I’d have preferred a 200-page book rather than one over 300 pages. 

I imagine I’d have liked it better if I’d related more to the author, but I am nothing like her.  She turned me off a lot at the beginning when she was blathering on and on and on about why she wasn’t having children.  And then more blathering about relationships.  India and Indonesia were better than Italy, because at least she quit blathering (and got happier- no coincidence).

There were parts I liked, especially when she talked about the people she met, but it was such a self-focused book that I’m honestly surprised at how popular it is.  Maybe I shouldn’t be. It’s almost self-help disguised as a travel book. 

5 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your review. You said it better than I could have. I agree with every word. :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie and it was enough for me to realize that I did not need to read the book. So thanks for sparing me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone keeps telling me that it's annoying and self-indulgent, so I haven't read it. I think that was good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, after I heard an interview with the author on NPR, I decided to pass.

    Is it just me, or is there an epidemic of poor editing afoot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is pretty much what I dreaded and this is why I still haven't been able to bring myself to read it. At the light of your review I think I'll pass. I don't read as much as you do and I don't want to read bad books if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete