02 January 2011

Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free IngredientsThe quick artisan bread thing has been going around for awhile now and I finally gave it a try, since I'm not going to have any machine that will knead dough for me for a while.  I was hoping for a decent no-knead bread.  I tried the original book and was disappointed.  The bread was blah and boring and very white.  Blah, I tell you.

But then I saw the authors had recently published a "healthy" version of their method, so I gave them one more chance.  I'm happier with this book, although I still can't really recommend it except in certain circumstances.

First, it's simply a lot easier for me to just make my basic whole wheat bread and knead it (at least with a machine).  I like the flavor and texture of my bread much better than the five-minute loaf.  And my recipe is better suited to cooking 3-6 loaves at a time, which is a lot more efficient for me, rather than one loaf at a time.

About the flavor again- I really wasn't impressed.  I did not like all the yeast that was in the original book, so I used their suggestions to cut it down.  It worked all right, but they seemed to have just tried using less yeast instead of testing it and their directions weren't very specific.  It took some of my own adjustments to get a decent loaf out of the oven.

But there is one thing that I do very much like this technique for, and that's flatbreads.  I usually make unyeasted flatbread because I can make start it an hour before we want to eat, but I can't do that with a typical yeasted recipe. Freezing dough isn't a great option either, because it takes a long time to thaw evenly. But this technique allows you to have decent yeasted dough on hand to make pizza and flatbread.  Of course you can keep a regular flatbread dough in the fridge for several days to cook later, but this is better designed to do that.  And it's easy too, since there's no kneading.

So I plan to keep the whole wheat with olive oil recipe on hand (that's the only one I like) and I'll be able to make flatbread easily.  Maybe even in a tandur.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, found it at Provo lib.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you mind posting your whole wheat bread recipe, I love trying new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's in the post listed below. I usually just use whole wheat now, instead of making it multi-grain, and I usually just put in flax and/or cracked wheat. But other than that, it's the same.

    http://amiralace.blogspot.com/2005/02/multi-grain-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I add less yeast now and bake it at 375 for 35 minutes.

    ReplyDelete