21 November 2010

Dead Man Walking

Dead Man Walking: An Eyewitness Account Of The Death Penalty In The United StatesIt's hard to say exactly what I thought about this book, because it was so uneven.  It's excellent in many ways, dealing with capital punishment in a new way, but it's also incredibly slow to read and difficult to slog through, and not just because it's not a cheery topic.  It took me forever to get through it, and several other women in my online book group felt the same way.  I was also already opposed to the death penalty before reading this book, so I wasn't exactly the target audience, unless I need to get inspired to do more about opposing it.

But like I said, there are excellent parts, where Sister Prejean writes about two of the death row inmates she works with before their executions.  Those were the most effective parts of the book, not all the statistics and moralizing and quotes from famous people.  In the end, I think it's certainly worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment