17 October 2010

The Vagrants

The Vagrants: A NovelThis was a book group read for my real-life book group.  It's one of the few I've read for that one that I'd never heard of before.  It'll be interesting to see what the group thinks of it since it's not exactly our standard fare.  Almost makes me hope that we'll still be in Seattle in a few weeks so I can go to the group.  Or at least it would make up for some of the disappointment if we're still here.

Anyway, this is fiction, set in China 3 years after the end of the Cultural Revolution during the first Beijing Spring (or, more precisely, at the end of the first Beijing Spring in one town).  It's not a happy book, but you shouldn't expect that.  Since it is fiction, and well done, and set after the Cultural Revolution, it's a little different from the other books I've read about China.  There are a variety of interesting characters and situations.  All in all, I thought it was excellent and I'll have to talk more with the woman who suggested it.

No comments:

Post a Comment