21 October 2010

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

8The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake: A NovelI knew nothing about this book when I started it, except that people were reading it and thinking it was different.  And it was different.  But I thought it was well-written and I liked it quite a bit.  No regrets about reading this one.



Spoiler:
I thought the timing of finding out about the rest of the family's "skills" was well done.  Even though you know that the narrator can do something impossible, it doesn't seem too out of the ordinary because it's always part of the novel and it's really not so very weird.  I didn't even think that there might be other skills out there.  But.  I did think the brother's (it's pathetic how quickly I forget the names of characters in a book; I only finished this two days ago) skill was a bit odd in comparison to the rest of the family.  Turning into furniture?  Really?  The mundacity of that skill must have had some significance, but I missed it.  At least it prompted me to make up a new word.  Never mind.  Urban Dictionary already has it.

Joseph.  That's the brother's name.

Ah.  Here's a comment that explains the mundacity. Totally missed that, but I think it's exactly on.

No comments:

Post a Comment