23 September 2010

eSchooling

We're finishing up our second week of eschooling (if that's the right term for it since I'm not talking about any sort of virtual school; in fact, we hardly use the internet for school).  It's sort of odd to be doing it in the US right now, since the whole point of scanning all the books was to use them overseas, but I suppose it's good to work a few things out now.

Our biggest problem so far is that we need to use the iPad a lot.  It's on for at least 5 hours a day just for books, and since there's only one, it's been tricky to work out a schedulde for sharing it.  Plus the two-year-old's picture books, so he wants it during naptime, and all my cookbooks are on it. If we can find a used Kindle DX for under $200 before we leave, we'll probably get it since the math, grammar, and Uzbek books are all black and white anyway.  In case you're wondering, we can't use those books on our smaller Sony Readers because the formatting on any reader is wonky when you increase the font size, and you have to increase the font size.  Math problems don't look right with wonky formatting. 

(An aside: I said before I wouldn't want to use the iPad as a reader.  Even though we use it for books a lot, there's no way I'd sit down and read a novel on it for fun.  It's wonderful as a color ereader, but my eyes don't like it for a long time.  That's another reason why a DX would help.  But it's not likely we'll find one for the right price before we leave.)

Even though I LOVE that we can take so many books with us, it still makes me a little nervous to have almost all our books be electronic, especially for the little one.  We still have about 20-30 picture books that we'll take, but it bugs me to think that he'll probably learn to read on the iPad.  This should not bother me.  But I can't help it.  Maybe parents thought the same thing about their kids learning to read a codex rather than a scroll.

The hardest subject to do right now is Uzbek, for obvious reasons. We're testing a new fifth grade writing program that's going surprisingly well. 

So, what we're doing this year:

Uzbek and Latin (Lively Latin 2)
Grammar, writing, spelling, and reading (ebooks and audiobooks)
Geography (capitals this year)
Social media thing (the grandmas like this)
Math (Singapore and Life of Fred)
Medieval history
Earth science and astronomy

We've dropped the art and music this year, but I'm counting on an interesting cultural experience anyway.  And I'm willing to cut back on some things if we need to focus more on Uzbek.

No comments:

Post a Comment