30 July 2010

When the Wind Was a River

When the Wind Was a River: Aleut Evacuation in World War IIA few weeks ago one of my neighbors mentioned that she is Aleut and told me a little about their evacuation during WWII from the Aleutian Islands.  I only had the barest knowledge about what happened, so I found this book about it.  There are a couple of other book I'll try to find, but this looks like the most extensive book about the evacuation.

Unfortunately, this book is really dry.  It's very detailed and well-documented, but I just had to slog through it.  I learned a lot, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it unless you're very interested in the topic.  Hopefully I'll find something a little more engaging.

3 comments:

  1. The video Aleut Story is quite good. We watched it in an Alaska Native Studies class I audited at UAA a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the one my friend recommended. Her grandparents were interviewed in it. I hope I can find it at a library somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know when you find a good one.

    ReplyDelete